What is this?
This site is a my pet project. I use it to try random things as a web dev, for the list of fun links I've bookmarked (they're on the home page),
and also for my blog.
The links include cool blogs I enjoy reading, useful deposits of information on various topics, and fun
stories and ideas that I enjoyed learning.
I graduated with a degree in computer engineering from McMaster Engineering, in Hamilton ON.
I worked for Amazon in Seattle for a year, quit, and moved to Waterloo where I work on HodlBot.
I enjoy coding, drumming, climbing, volleyball, rocket league, smash bros melee, learning, and lounging around :)
Some details about this site:
- All source code is on my Github,
- All the of the CSS is custom! I did this as a personal exercise in CSS knowledge.
- I make good use of Sass for all the CSS.
- The backend REST API is powered by Django, with the help of the Django REST Framework.
- The backend uses DynamoDB as a data source. There is no SQL database attached (I'm cheap; those things are relatively expensive to host. Go AWS free tier!).
- This whole site is hosted serverlessly on AWS Lambda, and I use Zappa for easy deploying.
- Frontend used to use Angular. I removed it because I really don't need it for this, and it was slowing
the whole site down. I used it initially because I wanted to learn Angular, and this was a good way to
learn it! The legacy frontend repo is here,
which I'm keeping around as a reference for myself. Since removing it, this page comes in at under 80KB. (not including the calvin and hobbes pic but that's hopefully cached for you).